Barings Law Logo

You're being transferred to one of our partners, Barings Law

Select Page


Army Deafness Claims

If you have hearing problems caused by your time in the Army, you may be able to claim compensation. Your case will be reviewed by our military specialist law firm who will be able to tell you how much you could be owed.

Home E Personal Injury E Military Injury E Army Deafness

Overview of Army deafness claims

Army deafness claims are compensation claims made by members of the British Armed Forces who have suffered hearing loss or tinnitus external link icon light blue as a result of their time in military service. These claims are made against the Ministry of Defence (MoD) external link icon light blue and can be worth thousands of pounds.

Hearing loss and tinnitus are common among military personnel due to extensive exposure to loud noises from gunfire, explosions, and aircraft engines. This exposure can cause permanent damage to the ears, resulting in hearing loss and tinnitus.

What criteria is needed to qualify for army deafness claims?

To qualify for an army deafness claim, the claimant must have served in the Armed Forces and have been exposed to loud noises that caused their hearing loss or tinnitus. You do not need to have been actively serving at the time of making a claim. If you have developed hearing loss as a result of events that happened while you were in a training exercise, you are still eligible.

Further, even if your hearing loss happened due to an ear infection that you developed as a result of service, you are also entitled to make a claim against the MoD. The only criteria you need to meet is that your hearing loss or tinnitus must have been caused or made worse in a way that is directly linked to your military service.

Did you know?

The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) entitles you to compensation for any illness, injury or death that was caused by your service.

The legal argument for an army deafness claim

The legal argument for an army deafness claim is based on the principle of employer’s liability. This means that the MoD has a duty of care to protect its employees from harm, including exposure to excessive noise that can cause hearing loss and tinnitus.

The MoD is also responsible for ensuring that appropriate protective measures, such as ear defenders, are provided to personnel who are at risk of exposure to such noises. If the MoD fails in its duty of care and a member of the Armed Forces suffers hearing loss or tinnitus as a result, the MoD can be held liable for damages.

Key Facts

Around 112 serving and ex-force personnel receive Ministry of Defence settlements external link icon white for noise-induced conditions every month. This has added up to an amount of around £95 million being paid so far in 9 years.

The evidence needed to support an army deafness claim

To support an army deafness claim, the claimant must provide medical evidence that their hearing loss or tinnitus was caused or made worse directly as a result of their time in military service. This evidence can be obtained through a medical examination by a qualified doctor or audiologist.

The claimant must also provide evidence of the circumstances of their military service that caused or contributed to their hearing loss or tinnitus. This can include evidence of exposure to loud noises, such as records of firing ranges, training exercises and combat missions.

Did you know?

You could receive lump sum payments (a tax-free lump sum to compensate you for any pain or suffering) or guaranteed income payments (tax-free monthly payments for those with the most serious injuries).

How much could you get for an army deafness claim?

The amount of compensation awarded for an army deafness claim will depend on the severity of the hearing loss or tinnitus as well as its impact on the claimant’s life. Compensation can be awarded for both the physical and psychological effects of hearing loss or tinnitus.

The amount of compensation can range from a few thousand pounds to tens of thousands of pounds. In cases of severe hearing loss or tinnitus, compensation can be awarded for loss of earnings, the cost of care and assistance, and other expenses related to the condition.
If you have tinnitus, it is worth being aware that you cannot receive a separate payment for this.

All hearing loss claims consider tinnitus as part of the hearing loss claim. If you have tinnitus which is part of your service-related hearing issue, then it could be assessed to earn you more as part of your current claim. If it is found to be more than 20% then you could receive an additional allowance, so make sure to mention this to the expert working on your behalf. If you would like help finding the right legal representation with experience making army deafness claims, our claim partners at Claims Bible can help.

Key Facts

There are more than 300,000 veterans external link icon white who are suffering from noise-related hearing loss as a result of being in the army.

How long will an army deafness claim take?

The length of time it takes to process an army deafness claim can vary depending on the complexity of the case and the availability of evidence. In general, claims can take several months to a few years to resolve. The help of an experienced professional could help to make the process as short as possible as well as ensure you don’t have to waste any time and can live your life as usual.

What is the claim process for an army deafness claim?

The claim process for an army deafness claim begins with the claimant submitting a claim to the MoD. The MoD will then investigate the claim and may request additional evidence to support the claim. If you would like help making a claim, Claims Bible can connect you with legal support with experience in making army deafness claims.

If the MoD accepts liability for the hearing loss or tinnitus, they may offer a settlement to the claimant. If the claimant accepts the settlement, the claim will be resolved.

If the MoD does not accept liability or the claimant is not satisfied with the settlement offer, the claimant can pursue legal action through the courts. This will involve instructing a solicitor and potentially attending a court hearing.

If you have any difficulty making a claim, schemes like the AFCS are required to ensure that the process is accessible to all. Simply ask for changes to be made and you will be offered an alternative way to apply for any benefits that you are entitled to.

Making a claim can be a stressful and sometimes drawn-out process which takes up a lot of time. To ensure you get the maximum settlement possible, the best idea is to turn to professionals who can assist you with each stage of the claims process. This way, you can avoid any unnecessary stress and you will simply be told at the end of the process what the settlement is and how much you are going to receive.

Start your deafness claim today

Complete the claim form and check your eligibility today. Safe, secure and confidential. Apply online in minutes.

Our Partner's Fees Explained

Click on the button below to read about the 'No Win No Fee' charged by our claim partner for this type of claim.

Common questions

How long do I have to make an army deafness claim?

There is a time limit of three years from the date of the hearing loss or tinnitus diagnosis to make an army deafness claim. However, in some cases, this time limit can be extended. If you are trying to make an AFCS claim, you actually have 7 years external link icon white from when the incident happened to make a claim. However, if the incident occurred prior to April 6th 2005, then your claim will be considered by the War Pension Scheme instead.

Can I make a claim if I have already been discharged from the Armed Forces?

Yes, you are still entitled to compensation for your injury from your time in the Armed Forces as long as you can demonstrate your hearing loss was caused by your military service.

For more common questions, please refer to the specific claim pages or read our general FAQs page.