Select Page

How To Find A Solicitor For Housing Issues

image of house on pink background for solicitor for housing issues
If you live in rented or council accommodation with outstanding repair problems that have not been fixed, you could be eligible for compensation. Find out more about how to find a solicitor for housing issues in this article.

Reviewed By: John Black

John is Claim's Bibles lead content writer and is passionate about helping people claim the compensation they deserve if they have been mis sold or mislead.

Last Updated on 4th March 2024 by John Black

Home E Housing Disrepair Claims E How To Find A Solicitor For Housing Issues

Finding the right solicitor to help with housing issues, including disrepair claims and council housing claims, can be a daunting task. However, it’s important to seek legal assistance when dealing with housing issues to ensure that your rights are protected and your interests are represented.

In this blog, we’ll discuss some of the key factors to consider when looking for a solicitor to help you with housing issues and go into more detail about what these issues are.

What to look for in a solicitor who deals with housing issues

Here are some things to look out for when choosing a solicitor to deal with your housing issue claims:

Expertise in housing law

It goes without saying, but it’s important to find a solicitor with expertise in housing law. As seen below, housing law is a complex area that covers a wide range of issues, so you want a solicitor who understands the specific rules and regulations and has prior experience in dealing with these issues.

Experience in similar cases

Another essential factor to consider when looking for a solicitor to help with housing issues is their experience in handling cases similar to yours. If you have a disrepair claim or council housing claim, you want a solicitor who has successfully handled similar cases in the past. Ask the solicitor about their experience in handling cases like yours and what outcomes they have achieved for their clients.

A good reputation and track record

The next factor to consider is the solicitor’s reputation and track record. Look for a solicitor with a good reputation in the legal community and who has a track record of success in handling housing cases. You can check the solicitor’s reputation by reading online reviews, checking their website for testimonials or asking for references.

Excellent communication skills

When selecting a solicitor to help with housing issues, it’s also important to consider their communication skills. You want a solicitor who will keep you informed throughout the process and who will be available to answer your questions and address your concerns. Look for a solicitor who communicates clearly and effectively and who is responsive to your needs.

Transparent costs and fees

Finally, you need to consider the cost of legal services when looking for a solicitor to help with housing issues. Legal fees can be expensive, so you want to find a solicitor who offers affordable and transparent pricing. Look for a solicitor who offers a clear fee structure and who is upfront about the costs involved. You may also want to consider whether the solicitor offers legal aid or other forms of financial assistance.

Types of housing issue claims

There are a number of housing issue claims that a solicitor can help you with, including:

Housing disrepair

Housing disrepair claims can be brought when a landlord fails to carry out the work needed on a property within a reasonable amount of time. Issues that your landlord is responsible for include:

  • Structural damage
  • Damp and mould
  • Gas
  • Electricity
  • Fire Safety
  • Running water
  • Pest control
  • Heating

Japanese knotweed

Initially imported into Britain from Japan in the 19th century as a way to beautify and stabilise embankments, Japanese knotweed can cause a lot of damage to buildings if left to grow out of control. In fact, there is now one Japanese knotweed infestation for every 10 square kilometres in Britain!

It’s hardly surprising then that Japanese knotweed claims are becoming more and more common. If Japanese knotweed is not treated, it can result in costly repair work. If your home has been damaged by it and your neighbour or landlord didn’t act, you could be entitled to compensation.

Home loss or disturbance

Home loss external link icon light blue is when tenants or owner-occupiers – who have lived in a property for a minimum of 12 months – have had to move permanently at a time that was not of their choosing, perhaps due to redevelopment or demolition. If this has happened to you and the move caused you distress or inconvenience, you may be entitled to compensation.


If your tenancy is coming to an end and you carried out improvements to your rented property after 1st April 1994 external link icon light blue, you could be entitled to compensation for these improvements.

Get help with your housing issue claims today

Finding the right solicitor to help with housing issues requires careful consideration of several factors. By taking the time to research and choose the right solicitor, you can ensure that your rights are protected and your interests are represented. Claims Bible can help you with your property claims. Get in touch with us today to find out more.

Was this article helpful?

« Back To Blog Home

Start your claim

Click on the button below and complete the form to start your claim for compensation.